Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Familiar Haunts

Now that we've settled in here, my entries will be a little mundane and certainly shorter. The heat and the hot wind continues - I think this might be a sirocco wind from the Sahara. It is quite intense and nonstop. Despite the hot dry conditions, the garden here is producing some nice results, like plump olives and fancy blooms. Dawn also lent a hand today, getting into one of her favourite activities.
We did one of now essential shopping trips today to Auchan and Tissus Gregoire in Avignon. The variety of product at Auchan is always impressive and the prices are ridiculously low, like the bottle of Lagavulin I bought for half the price I would pay in Canada. In fact, I don't buy it in Canada because it is a little out of my price range. But I love it. There are always French ladies on hand who are, at the grocery store, dressed for a party - well put together, but, not meaning to be insulting, often better looking going then coming. I guess that's kind of like the "don't be offended" comment that often prefaces an insult. Sorry! Couldn't help myself.
The mall surrounding Auchan had a Diney theme going on with gigantic effigies of Disney cartoon icons, like the Kung-fu Panda.
Anyway, we finished the afternoon drinking a Louis Sipp Gewurtztraminer from my cellar accompanied by a reblochon, sundried tomato saucisse and nectarine, kissed by the hot African breeze.

No comments: