Saturday, September 23, 2023

Outta here

The weather has cooled here significantly with a fair bit of rain as well. I guess the weather Gods are helping to prepare us for Canada.

We did our final pack yesterday and cleaned up the house and got ready to leave. In the evening we went right down to the bottom of the village to Tourne au Verre. Last time we were here with the Whites we sat out in the patio but it was way too chilly tonight so we were inside and the place was packed. For a Village restaurant this place has always had one of the most impressive wine lists. Unlike Canada they don’t mark up their wines three and 400%. So you can get a really good wine for a really good price. 


Yup we started with a glass of champagne again. Might as well enjoy it while we can afford it. Uncharacteristically for me we ordered a charcuterie board for an opener. Starting to quite like this French sausage. 

Our main course was a daube of beef cheek for Dawn and - Oh Surprise - ravioli with foie gras for me. I hope I don’t start quacking. Sorry, by the time I remembered to take the picture I’d already been into it.

With our main courses we drank what they called a pot of red wine. It was actually a full bottle of Cairanne OratoireSt Martin ( not shabby) likely poured from either a bag or a box. I have no problem with that because their good wine comes in many different forms. Ever looked around a restaurant to see what other people are eating and went hey I want that. That’s what I did for dessert. Dawn had the dessert du jour which was a delicious chocolate mousse while  I had the dessert that the lady next to me was having which turned out to be a really amazing nougat ice cream dessert.

This morning we drove down to what is not actually Marseilles but is in fact the town of Marignane because that’s where the airport is. We met Peter and Margaret who had just flown in from Canada via Munich. It was a pleasant but short reunion as they still had a drive back to Cairanne.  They dropped us at the hotel and we bid adieu. We stayed at the Ibis, a stone’s throw from the airport. As it turns out our room had been recently redone and it was quite nice with a view of the bay.


That just about does it for this version of my travel blog. We are both looking forward to being back in Canada tomorrow and hugging our puppies!! A bientot !!



No comments: