Friday, May 10, 2013

Going Home

I was going to do this when I got home, but with our almost 12 hour layover in Lima, I had time to finish the story. We had a reasonable rising time today as we weren’t being picked up until 9:00 for the airport. So we packed and repacked and did it until we ended up with only two pieces of checked luggage - our carry ons were a bit heavy, but each big bag came in at grams under max. There was a nice last look at Cusco from the back window of our hotel, this time, a fifth floor room. We got to Lima shortly after 1:00 and after asking a helpful gentleman at the airport if there was a lounge since we didn’t fly again until midnight, he directed us to the Costa Del Sol Hotel (Ramada), a short walk with our loaded luggage cart, where he said they would store our bags until our flight and we could avail ourselves of their amenities. Great advice! We weren’t looking forward to carting around all of our bags for most of the day and presto, problem solved. We lunched at the hotel and then, because they had good wi-fi, I was able to collect photos from my telephone. As a result, I will insert some panoramic images from Machu Picchu, throughout this post. Hopefully they show up OK. So....I know everyone will ask what was the best part of our trip? This would be like comparing apples and kittens. We had such varied experiences. French Polynesia was paradise, but they have limited natural resources. Thank God for tourism! I loved the snorkeling and Dawn would say that she loved the tropical feel that made her hair curl even more. Easter Island was child’s dream come true. When we got to the moai quarry at Rano Rakuru, I couldn’t believe my eyes. This was stuff I only knew from National Geographic. Dawn was impressed with how people could live with such remoteness. Needless to say, Machu Picchu blew our minds!!!! It is indeed one of the seven wonders of the world! Walking on to the site for the first time is an experience that I will never forget. Dawn thought that the Incas sense of nature was impressive. In the end - sorry folks - you had to be there. So another adventure is two flights away from being complete and we feel very fortunate to be able to have visited such wonderful destinations. See you next time!

No comments: