Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Playing with the Fish

Today began the same as the others - hot, with a promise of hotter. We’re slowly adjusting to the time change, nonetheless, our balcony breakfast was at 8:00 this morning. This is actually the best time to sit outdoors since the temperature has only begun to rise This promised to be another relaxing day and so off to the pool we went. We have now identified many couples that will show up on our cruise, but no one gets going as early as we do so we always have our pick of location around the pool. The hotel landscaping is exquisite and today we made particular note of the multicoloured lilies in the ornamental ponds. We had an immediate dip in the pool and then I headed off to the ocean for another round of snorkeling. I should note that since we’ve been here, I only seen one other guy snorkeling. I tried to talk some Floridians into it today but their wives were adamantly against it. What? Their loss! The along shore current was its strongest today, so I got a slightly better workout paddling past my buddies the sangsu and out to the reefs. I didn’t run into the amazing school of yellow fish I saw yesterday, but I did get close to some incredibly beautiful species and took the time to appreciate the fabulous coral formations. These photos should tell the story. The most fun I had during the outing occurred when I came upon these little black fish that would hide in the coral and watch me, gills flapping. They were pretty shy, so if I got too close they scurried into crevasses only to appear a second later to continue checking me out. Less shy was a particularly colourfully stripped fish that decided he liked my camera and continually swam right at it giving me lots of good photo ops. After about an hour in the water, I rejoined Dawn and we took a walk up the beach as far as we could go. There were many lovely but not opulent beach houses along the way as the thunder of crashing surf continued to dominate the airwaves. To return to the hotel, we walked off the beach and along some side streets featuring homes of the regular folk. For lunch we revisited Le Carre, our hotel restaurant on the water. I had what would have to be my ultimate favourite, sweetbreads with escargots and morels while Dawn had a salad gourmand consisting of brochettes of chicken, Iberian ham and greens. Following lunch, Dawn sat at the ocean while I retreated to the air conditioned room room to work on pics and blog. Then by mid afternoon it was siesta time. After our fabulous lunch, we opted for simpler fare this evening, in last night’s restaurant. Now we have to think about packing up to leave tomorrow. Fortunately we don’t have to travel far to catch the ship and in fact are going to catch the hotel shuttle to Papeete. These extra days in Tahiti were a really, really good idea!

No comments: