Saturday, June 26, 2010

North to Nevers


This morning we bid farewell to St. Chinian and hit the A75 Autoroute north. I've heard people complain about traveling on autoroutes, becuase you don't get to see the countryside or because they're too expensive. I can say, without a doubt, that the A75 from Beziers to Clemont Ferrand is the most awesome fast highway I have ever driven. Not only is the highway pretty new and therefore very smooth, but the scenery along its course is startlingly spectacular. It's a twisty roller coaster ride reaching altitudes of 1100 metres and the views are truely to die for. And then, just when you think it can't get any better, you hit the Millau Viaduct.

There's an auto route stop just north of the bridge with two viewing platforms and a small museum chronicling the birth and three year growth of the 800 million euro bridge. This is ONE HOT tourist attraction. It also happens to be free. The only toll we paid on this stretch of the highway, by the way, was 6 euros to cross the bridge.

We hit Nevers - a city of around 40 000 - which is around 250 kilometres from Paris, by mid afternoon. As we crossed over the Loire river I was having serious deja vu. I'm pretty sure we drove to this town when we stayed in the Loire with Tony & Jackie.

Thanks to Emily, we easily found our hotel, The Hotel de Diane which is a Best Western. After a short freshen up and respite from the heat, we ventured out for a look around town. It still hadn't cooled off much and we were sweating like pigs. I'm sorry, I was sweating like a pig. Dawn was glowing.

We found some fabulous buildings in this town and were once again amazed by the diversiy of French towns. I think we love them all!




The cathedral St. Cyr & St. Juillet - same place, duel name - had the most outstanding collection of gargoyles I have ever seen - and that includes Notre Dame in Paris. I'll include only a few in the blog. You'll have to see my book for the entire retrospective.


We had a drink in a cafe before heading off to dinner at Tomate & Chocolat - recommended by our hotel.


For 57 euros we had a fabulous prix fixe consisting of an olive & mozarella tarte, followed by two fishes for Dawn & Charlois beef for me. This is actually the best beef I've had in France. Where has it been? Dessert was a medley of chocolate, raspberry and pear delights.

We had a local pinot noir from the Charilois appelation close to here, one we've never experienced - very similar to a nice Burgundy. It would be helpful to point out at this point that although Nevers is on the Loire, they are actually a Burgundian town.

Back at the hotel Dawn was lights out while I typed away.
It was another day of wonderful French experiences and surprises!

No comments: