Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Donkeys?

Someone in the village below us has donkeys in their backyard. We heard them long before we saw them. So this raises the major question - why does anyone keep donkeys in their backyard? Does this make their neighbours happy? Are they good to ride? They have a reputation for stubbornness, so I suspect not. Are they just pets? Wow, that's an interesting and likely expensive pet to keep. So this morning, as we took our traditional stroll among the wind swept plane trees of Vaison la Romaine, we may have stumbled upon an answer. Donkey sausage! Now I kind of feel sorry for the donkeys. We've had occasion to stay next to a heard of goats in the Corbieres region of France and let me tell you, "eau de goat" ain't no picnic. I kind of lump donkeys into the same category. Now certainly, goat cheese is an acquired taste and a delicacy, but donkey sausage? I guess the bottom line here is, I'm not buying it to find out. The remainder of the day in Cairanne turned out to be nicer than the initial rain forecast and we made it back to the terrace for aperitifs courtesy of Louis Sipp bubbly and Auchan chips. La vie est belle!

No comments: