Monday, October 5, 2015

Life in the Digital Age

I've been playing with photography, ever since my 20's, when "playing with" meant, choose your subject carefully, frame it, get the right exposure and don't take too many shots because the developing is so expensive. I had then and I have now a Canon SLR camera. I also have an iPhone with a camera and this leads to the quandary. Do we just snap away and photoshop later or do we take photos like the "old days"? I admit that I alter many of my posted photos, but it's generally a cropping issue, one that a good photographer could do from the get go. And then, there are the apps that lead to this kind of stuff, which I also have to confess, is a whole lotta fun. So, today after making our seasonal visit to Tissu Gregoire and salivating over their fabulous fabrics and then picking up groceries for the remainder of our visit at Auchan - well maybe not all of them - I set out to take some photos, all of which were taken no more than 100 metres from Chez Pigeon. I had on one shoulder the photography artist angel and on the other, the digital devil. All through my walk, there was a constant dialogue with angel and devil: Angel, "Now William, frame carefully, look at your subject, think about the sun, get just the right shot!" ;and Devil, "Heh! Wink! Take the shot! Fix it later." What a dilemma! The good part about today's walk is that the weather was nice enough to be back in shorts and sandals. Also, on a Monday, you won't encounter a tonne of tourists - notice that was a metric ton. So I've chosen my best photos today, all unaltered and I given them impressive titles. Like, "Dem grapes, Dem grapes, dem yummy grapes!" Next, we have "A MAM's castle is his home" And, who could forget, "My parking spot is in the middle of the road, OK?" Then there's "The Long and Winding Road". And, how about, "Hmmm!"? Next on today's list of hits is, "Can anybody see the enemy coming?". And who can forget, "If I was a farmer in Provence, I'd live right here.". Not to be missed, would be, "Kangoo's Happy Sojourn". And then there's "Peace Beneath the Olives". And, one you don't want to miss, "Terroir!". And how about, "Hole in the Wall - Thanks Claudio!". Next, "This land is wine land". And lastly, "Name the fruit/vegetable/brain?" Hope everyone enjoyed today's hit parade of "If I was a photographer!"

No comments: